Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Title: The Indigo Spell
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Penguin Group
Year of Release: 2013
ISBN: 9781921518911 (pbk.)
Source: Purchased
Number or Pages: 401
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she struggles to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she finally tracks down the elusive, enigmatic Marcus Finch - a former Alchemist who the organization denies exists, and who lives in shadows, on the run. With Marcus' help, Sydney realizes that the group she's been loyal to her whole life has been hiding the truth from her. Is it possible that her golden lily tattoo might have more power over her than she thinks?
As she struggles to come to terms with what that might mean, Sydney is compelled to use her growing magical powers to track down a evil magic user who is targeting powerful young witches. Using magic goes against everything she always thought she believed, but she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her special blood - or else she might be next.
Forging her own way is harder than Sydney ever dreamed. Maybe by turning off her brain - and following her heart - she'll be able to finally figure out where she belongs.
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I have been waiting months for this book to be released and I bought a copy as soon as it hit stores. Before I could begin reading it, I wanted to re-read the first two books which is why I haven't posted a review in a while. 
I was so caught up in this book that I forgot to write my usual review notes on it, little dot points I make while I read to help me write this review later on. I didn't write one because I just could not put the book down! If you need even more proof of how addictive this book is, how about the fact that I finished it in two days.
This is the third instalment in the spin off series to Vampire Academy, Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. The first book was incredible, the second even better, and this one was amazing. It focuses more on Adrian and Sydney's relationship as Sydney tries to come to terms with her Alchemist teachings and her feelings for the witty, sarcastic, loyal and incredibly good-looking Moroi, Adrian. 
I am really surprised and pleased with the direction Mead took with the story. Not only did she progress Sydney and Adrian's relationship, which Bloodlines fans could not be more happy about, but she also added a new enemy to the series. This created a lot more suspense in the novel and kept the pages turning. 
I would highly recommend this series to those who love a good vampire-romance. Don't worry, this is nothing like Twilight, it's ten times better. I'm so excited for the next book in this series, The Fiery Heart, which hits stores in November. 
I love these books, but there is some negativity floating around that perhaps Mead should only have written a single spin-off book instead of an entire series. That her ideas are getting desperate and the books aren't as good as they can be. Well, that's complete crap. The characters in these books are so alive, they practically need birth certificates! How can you limit them to one spin off book when you can do so much more with them? 
I couldn't recommend the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series highly enough, I really do suggest picking up your copy. 
On another note, the Vampire Academy movie is in production and is set to hit theatres sometime next year! 
Rating: 
4/5

1 comment:

  1. Movie is supposedly Valentines Day next year!! I have my date ready. I totally agree that these characters shouldn't be limited to one book. I am loving learning more about Sydney. She may not be the same kind of in your face badass that Rose is, but she's still badass. I had to quickly scrawl notes on this one right after I finished reading it, I didn't want to stop during it to take notes!

    ReplyDelete