Thursday, July 04, 2013

Review: Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Title: Haunting Violet
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Walker
Year of Release: 2011
ISBN: 9780802727954
Source: Purchased (The Book Depository, $9.77)
Number of Pages: 344 (this edition)

Summary:
Seeing spirits is a curse, not a gift, to Violet.
Violet Willoughby has participated in far too many fake sèances to believe in the supernatural - particularly after watching her mother fool widows and old men into handing over their fortunes. But when Violet is haunted by a ghost who won't rest until her killer is brought to justice, she realises that she may have to reconsider. Thrust into the center of an unsolved murder committed within the upper echelons of Victorian society, the only person Violet can trust with the truth of her power is her mother's assistant, Colin. But the killer is willing to do anything to keep Violet from discovering his identity, and no person - alive or dead - may be able to save her...

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. At first, I found the book a little hard to get into, but once I got the feel of the book, I was sold. Such a perfectly well-written book, every sentence was perfectly constructed and was extremely well-paced.
The plot, though not a completely original idea, was genius and brilliant and made original through Harvey's incredible writing ability. 
I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. There is such a sincerity and honesty in the way it is written that makes it all seem so authentic and real, I couldn't help but get lost within this book. The plot twists and hints were perfectly planted and structured. 
Haunting Violet is one of those rare books that can make you lose yourself so quickly and suddenly, yet not unexpectedly, and can keep you lost for hours or until fatigue nags at you and coffee becomes necessary so that you can keep reading to find out what happens.
When you're not reading this book, you're thinking about this book, and I found myself looking forward to going home when I was out,  just because I knew that I would be going back to this book. I just had to know what would happen! 
My love for this book grew deeper the more I got into the story, a story that evolves so neatly and perfectly. I was bragging about this book to anyone who would listen and I think I talked people's ears off because I couldn't shut up about how amazing the book I was reading was!
This is a book just as beautiful on the outside as it is on the inside, the cover art is amazingly enticing. 
I promise you, come chapter 5 or 6, you will be absolutely and utterly hooked in the most satisfying way possible. I will definitely be looking into more of Alyxandra Harvey's works in future, don't be surprised if you see more reviews on her books here soon!
An intense supernatural thriller that will have you turning the pages at an inhuman speed. 
Rating:
5/5

If you are interested in reading Haunting Violet, which I really hope you are, I've included a link to The Book Depository page for the book, where you can purchase the copy I did at a cheap price. Click here to check it out! 

On another side note, Alyxandra Harvey wrote an E-Novella as an accompaniment to this book, titled Languish. An E-Novella is a short story that is only available as an e-book, so if you have a Kindle device, you can buy it and read it on there. I, myself have not read it, but I would like to, so if any of you have, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know how it was and if it's worth reading?
You can check out a summary of Languish here.
It is available for purchase on Amazon for $0.99, and you can have a little looksie here.

No comments:

Post a Comment