Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Review: Torment by Lauren Kate

Title: Torment
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Doubleday
Year of Release: 2010
ISBN: 13579108642
Source: Purchased
Number of Pages: 452
Love never dies...
It took Lucinda an eternity to find her beloved angel, Daniel. But he waited for her. Now they are forced apart again, to protect Luce from the Outcasts- immortals who want her dead. During their separation, Luce learns about her mysterious past lives. But the more she discovers, the more she suspects that Daniel is hiding something. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't true? Is it really their destiny to be together? Or is Luce actually meant to be with somebody else?   
What an improvement this second book was! You may remember me mentioning in my review on Fallen that I didn't particularly enjoy that book. I was a little worried about this one being the same, but I was surprised! This book was just incredible. Once you reach a certain high in the book, you just can't stop reading! With twice the amount of drama, suspense, mystery and passion as the last book, I found myself re-reading certain parts because I loved them so much. The end fight scene could not have been described better, Kate did a fantastic job, my heart was racing so fast I though it would explode through my chest (though I'm glad it didn't). 
I cannot wait to start reading the third book in this series, Passion, which I will begin as soon as I finish this review. I don't want to give away too much to those of you who haven't read this book yet, but the introduction of a more complicated love triangle in this book was really great. In Fallen, the love triangle there between Luce, Daniel and Cam is not too bad because we know that Luce doesn't have any feelings towards Cam. Her love is only for Daniel. In this one however, we meet a new boy who might/might not sweep Luce off her feet. 
If you read the first book and didn't like it too much, I understand, but I really insist on giving Torment a go. I'm sure you'll find it a lot more captivating than the first. Old characters re-emerge, new ones surface and Luce goes on a quest for answers that Daniel refuses to give her about who she really is, was and is going to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment