Sunday, October 09, 2011

Review: Girls In Trucks by Katie Crouch

Allow me to begin this review with a question mark. ?
The reason for this question mark is to signify my confusion about the story line of this book. (and the fact that it ever got published.)
Now I know this sounds harsh but I have no clue as to what to write about this book except that I didn't like it at all. I'm not saying that this is a terrible novel, I'm saying that it just wasn't the right novel for me. In my last book review, the one on Saving June, I mentioned that I like it when the reader could relate to the characters of the novel. And the main character in Girls In Trucks was not someone I could relate to in any way and in any sense of the world. 
The book is set in Charleston, South Carolina and the main character Sarah Walters is a debutante that tries hard to follow the rules that come with being in that profession. After leaving her home town in search of an adventure she travels to many different locations, looking for nothing in particular. Now I think it may be safe to say that there was sex or a reference toward sex in every chapter. That was the most disturbing part of the book for me. The author also went into a large amount of detail during these parts of the book. I won't give any examples. 
I'm sure if you do a bit of research you will see that many other people share my opinion of this book. Sarah Walters is not a character the reader can look up to or share opinions with or admire. How can you admire someone when all they do in their life is sleep around (in great detail)? That does not make a good role model in my opinion. At the end of the book, Sarah had accomplished absolutely nothing that benefits her. Instead she ends up a single mother, back in her hometown. So what can we learn from this book? Nothing. 

Look out for my next review on Halo by Alexandra Adornetto! 

No comments:

Post a Comment